Sunday, October 4, 2015

It all starts with good ink.

          Today I've been researching literary agents online. There's a note pad and several pens next to my laptop so I can write down the agents that may be interested in my work. This way I can review my list later and takes notes on who I've submitted to and who I haven't.
          So far I've gone through five ink pens, the fourth one I threw across the room while I swore at it.
This is not because I'm writing everything down like a mad woman and running out of ink. I'm a mad woman because I bought a pack of generic pens for .99 and they all suck, every single one of them.

 I have scribbled small circles that look like bad spyrograph designs all over the top and sides of my agent list trying to get the stupid pens to write smoothly. I'd get a name halfway written and suddenly the ink quits coming out. I ended up with names that were barely readable.
With a deep breath of frustration, I picked up another pen and shook it violently, hoping this would clear any clogs. Then I pushed it too hard onto the note pad as I began to write. I heard a tiny snap as the point of the ink pen broke, and to give you a better idea of what happened next, take a look at this photo of Ernest.





That saying: 'You get what you pay for,' is ringing true right now.
I'm on my way back to the store, to spend a little extra money on some decent pens. My tip for the day: Go for the good ink, there's a reason why the packs of cheapos are on the clearance aisle.














No comments:

Post a Comment